Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Amazing hard boiled egg chocolate chip cookies

This came up in a discussion of FB yesterday...what to do with the hard boiled eggs we all have. I found this recipe and thought I would share it. I hope to try it soon. My eggs will get stinky in the fridge after a few more days!



I found this recipe at http://www.cookiemadness.net/ (I hope it's OK to share! If you don't hear from me I'm in jail for plagiarism!)



Today I made one change which in my opinion, resulted in a better cookie. Rita, who tried this previously, assured me it would work. The change is to use only hard boiled eggs. The previous version used 1/4 of a hard boiled egg and 1 tablespoon of raw egg. This version uses 1/2 of a hard boiled egg. Interestingly enough, no extra liquid is needed to bind the dough. As Rita put it, the butter does it all by itself….or at least European style butter does! Rita and I both used European style butter, but I suspect regular American butter would still hold together.
Also, I used Ghirardelli’s bittersweet chips in this batch. They worked really well because like the cookies, they’re big and fat! Big fat cookies need big fat chips.


Amazing Hard Boiled Egg Chocolate Chip Cookies! (Small Batch)


3.1 oz all purpose bleached flour (2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour)2 ounces cold unsalted butter (4 tablespoons) – European style, if you have it!

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon baking soda

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1/2 of a hard boiled egg

1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract

Small handful of chocolate chips

Combine flour and butter in food processor. Pulse until mixture is mealy and coarse. Add the salt and baking soda and pulse to mix. Add both sugars and hard boiled egg. Pulse again until mixture is mealy looking. Add in the vanilla and pulse until mixture just begins to come together.
Dump mixture into a bowl, add chocolate chips and shape into two balls. You will see egg whites in dough – they’ll disappear as the cookies bake.
Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until cookies appear lightly browned around edges. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to rack to finish cooling.
Important: Let cool completely before serving. The texture gets better as the cookies cool. It’s even better if you cool the cookies, freeze them, then thaw them.
Makes 2 big cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment