Monday, November 2, 2009

Holes...

I am not one to jump into somethings very quickly. I can make a quick decision about what to have for dinner, don't spend a lot of agonizing time shopping for any new clothes, shoot - when you drive a mini-van the only real choice is the color so we don't even spend a lot of time on that. What I struggle with is furniture choices and decorating ideas. The couch in our living room probably took several drives to the store, hours of looking at prints and fabrics, and many looks at the choice of legs and skirt vs. no skirt before we decided on it. We spent more time on that couch than any of the houses we have lived in. It was our first decision on something of that magnitude as a "couple" and I guess we really wanted to make a good one. This past week Mike's sister, Jill, and her husband, Greg, were visiting us. We gave them permission to get out the nails, hammers and laser level and they started putting holes in our walls. At first I was very excited. Very. I want this house to be our home. Mike and I hung exactly 2 things on the walls in our Michigan house and it always seemed kind of sterile to me there. I truly think I am a minimalist. We made a pilgrimage to Hobby Lobby in Pekin and Jill (with my permission) went wild. She had never been to a Hobby Lobby and loved it!!! We reframed pictures, found cute things for my kitchen plate rack, found 2 beautiful prints for the walls, mixed woods and metals for a cool look. Basically we went crazy. Then the holes in the walls started and I began to get a little overwhelmed. What we put up looks great but I was doubting my choices. I have now slept on it for 2 nights and feel better. Mike and I have a few more things to hang and it will probably take us the next year to do it but we do have a start. I realize that holes can be filled and patched but it feels kind of permanent to me. I think that maybe I'm a less is more when it comes to decorating. Or maybe I'm starting to break a HOLE through my shell. Here are some pics of what we did...





And two more...




And my 2 favorite things so far...


I don't think my photos really do it justice. Things are really starting to look good around here!

1 comment:

  1. very nice! my drawing professor always said the first mark is the hardest. he would tell us to just make one mark on the paper and the next would be easier. it always worked :)

    ReplyDelete